As a society, the majority of people don’t understand how either gravity or electricity work. They are two forces that affect us every single day, but that are invisible to the naked eye. Our homes and air conditioning services use electricity to give power, light, and cool air to our bedrooms, but they we need to understand them a little better. For this reason, in this article we will be discussing some of the tips you need to know about the electrical systems in your home.
Safety Tips for Wiring
One thing about owning a home is that there are a lot of dangers and maintenance that has to be taken care of constantly. A danger that requires a professional in order to fix and keep safe is the electrical wiring system inside of your home. Because they are so hard to identify, and can be disastrous if not taken care of, we will now give you five tips for keeping your electrical systems harmless.
- Protect your children by covering outlets
- Look for subtle signs of electrical malfunction
- Limit the number of items you plug into power strips
- Unplug devices when not using them
- Never keep damaged or frayed cords
The first tip is one of the most important and often overlooked. You’ve seen the little white outlet covers at other people’s homes or at stores like The Home Depot. These prevent kids from sticking forks or other metal items in there. The second tip is to look for subtle signs of electrical malfunction. An electrical malfunction doesn’t have to be a wire sticking out of the wall and shooting sparks. The subtle cues can be anything from flickering lights to weird smells. If you see any weird things happening when you plug in certain items, or if your lights flicker at certain times of the day or night, you should call a professional.
One of the safest ways to prevent electrical malfunctions is to limit the number of appliances you connect to power strips. The purpose of a power strip IS to be able to connect more things to it, but there’s a limit that the common person cannot gauge and sometimes goes overboard with connections. These can easily cause an overload and an electrical fire which will not only blow out some fuses but will easily catch fire to whatever is around it. Finally, unplug large appliances if … READ MORE